Subject: Re: NetBSD on Jensen, restarting..
To: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>
From: Carl Shapiro <samsara@panix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1997 00:35:28
> What is the 164SX?  Also, just out of curiosity, I downloaded the SRM firmware,
> and installed it.  It seems to work so far (i have yet to boot an OS), so
> is it possible that I have a version of the chip that does not care?  Or will
> it break later on if it really is an "NT only" chip?

According to the marketing persons the AlphaPC 164SX is supposed to be
the first of the "low cost" Alpha motherboards that support the Alpha
21164PC.  I guess it's a kind of good news that these things have the
SRM console made avaliable for them.  The PC164SX was supposed to begin
volume shipments in July.  Dunno if you can buy them yet though.

Regarding the supposedly "NT only" 21164's...  According to Digital
Semiconductor the behavior of these processors with the SRM console is
(and I quote) "indeterminate".  YMMV.

Carl