Subject: Re: NetBSD on Jensen, restarting..
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/14/1997 10:55:36
> As Ross Harvey wrote...
> >
> > Get the platform working with existing netboot code first. Only when
> > everything is working diskless should you screw around with a new driver.
>
> Maybe I'm missing your point: this would mean that I need to get a DE422
> (that's what the Jensen has) driver working.
>
> I currently have D-Unix on the first disk, NetBSD 1.2 on the second.
> I can use D-Unix to drop test kernels, generated by the Multia, onto
> the Jensen's NetBSD disk.
>
> Isn't that an easier approach than netbooting? It's probably easier
> for me to get a Adaptec 1742A driver working than a DE422 one (I've
> done SCSI drivers in the distant past, networking drivers are unchartered
> territory).

You don't need to have a de422 driver working to netboot.  you might
just have the firmware load & run your kernel, and then use the disk
once you get around to mounting root.  (porting the ahb driver
shouldn't be _too_ hard, i don't think.)

There's a _lot_ to be done before you can actually get to the point of
mounting root, though.  For that (perhaps long) period of time, the
ability to boot kernels from the network can make reboot cycles go a
lot faster.

The Jensen is a funky box.  Right now, mounting root is the least of
your worries.  8-)

chris