Subject: Crash when running out of memory
To: NetBSD/Alpha Users <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/13/1997 18:51:40
Using a very current kernel (a few hours old), if I run a program
that requests and uses a large amount of RAM, I can crash my AXPpci33
with an MMU fault at line 1022 of sys/vnode_if.h, which is the
`return' line below:

extern struct vnodeop_desc vop_strategy_desc;
static __inline int VOP_STRATEGY __P((struct buf *)) __attribute__ ((unused));
static __inline int VOP_STRATEGY(bp)
        struct buf *bp;
{
        struct vop_strategy_args a;
        a.a_desc = VDESC(vop_strategy);
        a.a_bp = bp;
        return (VCALL(bp->b_vp, VOFFSET(vop_strategy), &a));
}

This machine is diskless, and the swap is:

    /swapfile      none    swap    sw

With an older kernel, instead of doing this, it just wedged, but
still responded to pings.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates