Subject: Re: NetBSD on Jensen, restarting..
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/13/1997 23:52:42
As Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote...

> I'm only a regular reader of the port-alpha mailing list, and
> don't have any alpha machines to play around with, but if I'm not
> very much mistaken it'll probably be a better starting point to
> push off from NetBSD-current, since a lot of drivers has been
> modified to use the new bus_* framework, where the primary
> motivation was to improve the machine independence of device
> drivers (access to the ISA bus on Alpha systems being one of the
> examples).

Oops! This sounds like a very good point to me. As you already
guessed by now I'm very new to the port-alpha list. I was triggered
by obtaining a Alpha box, for the rest of it I'm a FreeBSD adept.

Will the upcoming 1.3 NetBSD (december 97 if I'm not mistaken?)
use the same internal structure? I don't think I can track -current,
but maybe a snapshot of some sorts can be used?

Don't shoot me for it, but there seems precious little RTFM to be done
around NetBSD/alpha. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So getting started
with this adventure currently is digging thru all kinds of info sources.

Fellow Jensen owners who are more experienced in porting to a new
machine are therefore more than welcome.
Wilko