Subject: Re: ARC Firmware?
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/08/1997 21:23:39
Interesting and offensive.   Nonetheless, the -P7 part does do 64-bit
addressing and does not work with SRM.   Make of that what you will.

BTW, I believe that the weenie that wrote that statement doesn't have
any actual technical knowledge.   The reason I say this is that each
Digital part actually comes with a set of what Digital calls
``waivers'', which are really errata sheets.   These waivers are keyed
to specific Alpha part numbers (e.g., 21164-P7), and list specific
differences between processors.   Digital could not issue such
statements if they were actually labelling different Alpha parts with
the same part numbers.   So I think that this is a marketing statement,
not an engineering statement.

Anyway, yet another reason not to buy products from Digital.

			       _MelloN_