Subject: Re: ARC Firmware?
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/08/1997 20:29:52
On October 9, you wrote:
> From a technical standpoint, the PC microprocessors only support a
> limited set of memory management options sufficient for Windows NT
> and some other operating systems, while the Universal parts support
> all of the memory management modes necessary for operation of
> OpenVMS and Digital UNIX.

  A lobotomized processor for a lobotomized operating system.  How
quaint.  I think I'm going to throw up.

  Perhaps someone more vm-savvy than I should evaluate the "PC"
processors and find out exactly what this "limited MMU" is all about.
If it's not *too* bad, perhaps the kernel could detect it at boot time
and deal with it?  That certainly would make NetBSD/alpha more
accessible for people with cheaper systems.  Am I way off base here?
Is this even practical to consider?

                       -Dave McGuire
                        mcguire@neurotica.com