Subject: Re: AS 4000 (X11)
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark H. Levine <yba@polytronics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/29/1997 11:12:48
   >I've Alpha Server 4000 5/400 with 512 MB RAM, ethernet card is DE500,
   >graphic card is S3. I'd like to ask you, if I can run NetBSD on it.

While the cpu support may not be in yet, you can address the RAM, the
DE500 driver seems to work, although you have to tell it again to go
into 10 MB mode even after the console code sets it up for 10 vs. 100,
or it performs poorly (very), and the console emulation against an S3
doesn't quite work right, although you can edit with lots of screen
repaints and get away with it -- I don't think there is a working X
server that's been ported (is there?).

CGD had a list of three things that were preventing the XFree86 servers
from being ported after he put in Alpha/NetBSD changes and put up the
TGA1 server.  I'm not sure if this is in anyone's active development
list, but I'd be interested in comparing notes if someone else wants
to get TGA2 or S3 boards up.