Subject: Re: Unexpected Machine Check After Halt
To: None <tober@albino.ir.bbn.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/1997 08:04:47
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
 tober@albino.ir.bbn.com wrote:

 > We have experienced this problem (at BBN) on the AXPpci33.  It appears to be
 > due to the fact that the system's console code is not particularly tolerant
 > of having the OS change interrupt controller configuration, at least in some
 > versions of the console.  We were able to eliminate the problem on the AXPpci33
 > by upgrading to the latest (November, 1996, I believe) SRM console for the
 > AXPpci33.  Alternately, I suppose that ICU configuration could be checkpointed
 > during boot and restored during shutdown.  I think this is a lot of kludging
 > to get around console braindamage, however.
 > -ben

...This was what I suspected on the AlphaStation 500, as well... I'll
take a look at doing something about this today or tomorrow (I'm getting
really tired of hitting the hardware reset key, grumble).

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935