Subject: Re: Kernel crashes when reading Exabyte
To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/16/1997 17:19:31
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:20:25 -0400
 Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu> wrote:

 > We have an Alpha running NetBSD which we use as a file server and for
 > making backups.  It writes backups properly, but crashes on trying to
 > read them.
 >
 > Can anyone help fix this?  Mycroft is too busy to help.  I can examine
 > values with the kernel debugger, and report the results, but none of
 > us knows what to examine.

Which model Alpha is this?  I think I remember Charles mentioning it.
It's a 3000/300?  If that's the case, it's probably a bug in the NCR53c9x
SCSI driver.

The driver probably spits out some diagnostics before it goes belly-up.
Knowing what it spews would be a good start.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935