Subject: Re: Alpha port compiles and runs again
To: port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/06/1997 17:00:37
Excerpts from netbsd: 3-Sep-97 Alpha port compiles and run.. Jason
Thorpe@nas.nasa.go (608)

> I would appreciate hearing success/failure reports from others.

Boots and works an an AS200 4/233.
On halts and reboots, the firmware prints several screens full
of register dumps, than resets (ie, behaves as "init" were typed).

Btw, I've just changed the Alpha netboot to support DHCP.
Dynamic address allocation as such is not very useful in this
situation because the firmware has already issued a classical
BOOTP, thus got an address for infinite time.
I changed it because the old bootp code ignored all BOOTP
replys with a "vendor data" area larger than 64 bytes. This
is short if one enables Gordon's new nfs root mount code which
gets the remote root path passed this way.
DHCP extends that area to 312 bytes.

A possible drawback is that the new boot code needs more
stack space - about 1 kByte. Is this a problem on Alphas?

best regards
Matthias