Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: Tom Linden <tom@thirdmillenium.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/12/1997 10:31:24
At 09:09 AM 8/7/97 -0700, Tom Linden wrote:
>Its not the console, its the cpu.  the 21164 comes in several flavors.
>Check Digital's site under semiconductor, where you will find data sheets.

Yes they do.  However these chips are, as yet, not functionaly different.
The fuseable link that would differentiate the NT-only chips is not being
blown.  The difference is in the SROM (the serial PROM an Alpha initializes
the chip and loads the firmware from flash).  The SROM on NT-only Alphas
won't load the SRM console.

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Nashua, NH                Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message