Subject: Re: read only /
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1997 16:27:46
This solves a recurring problem with port-alpha.

	[ all about the cool init(8)-makes-cool-mfs-/dev-for-you ]

 > On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:
 >
 > > On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
 > >
 > >  > | Perhaps the test in init should not be "if root is msdosfs" but
 > >  > | something more general-purpose, like "if /dev/console does not exist"
 > >  > | (for example), or even "if /etc/MAKEDEV exists" or whatever.
 > >  >
 > >  > I had it this way before and Jason asked me to add the msdosfs check.
 > >
 > > I suppose we could just check against /dev/console, but I'm concerned
 > > about "what if the file system got trashed?"
 > >
 > 	Given that if /dev/console does not exist you will not be able to
 > 	boot, trying the mfs approach should be a win (or no worse) in
 > 	just about any situation.
 > 	If the filesystem is corrupted to the extent that the the mfs
 > 	setup fails, you haven't lost anything more than before; but if
 > 	the mfs succeeds, you might have a fighting chance of now
 > 	repairing the damage.
 >
 > 	If someone forgot to populate dev, then it makes it more
 > 	interesting to do so ('umount -f /dev ; /dev/MAKEDEV all' ),
 > 	but you still win...
 >
 > 		David/abs

I think this is the coolest feature. I was going to implement this
and imagine my surprise to see it already there!

My original idea was for port-alpha; it seems like this should very
neatly get around the problem where OSF/1 (OK, DU) can't export a
NetBSD /dev due to device number mangling on the server.

It is certainly no big deal to delete the ifdef and recompile, but
the feature does have unexpected utility...
Ross Harvey	Avalon Computer Systems, Inc.		  ross@teraflop.com
		Santa Barbara	 		    http://www.teraflop.com