Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: None <gallatin@cs.duke.edu, cjs@portal.ca>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/11/1997 08:52:30

>On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>
>> Ahh.. so this explains at least one reason why the linux people have
>> no truley generic kernel, and why their code is littered with #ifdefs
>> which distinguish betweeen SRM/MILO systems and each system type.
>> Right?
>
>Yes. Not only is there no generic kernel, there's no generic
>bootloader. MILO has to be recompiled for every different Alpha
>architecture it runs on, becuase it has embedded in it the custom
>PALcode for that architecture.

This is also why I stalled on my linux port for the 8200- I got a
large chunk into it and realized I'd really have clean it all up
and get the stuff into machined dependent && machine independent
portions. ENOENERGY.

Sigh. This is one of the cases for me where balls-to-wall Linux
really didn't work out well.