Subject: Re: relocation truncated to fit ???
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/07/1997 21:46:16
> >What does "relocation truncated to fit" mean, and how
> >do I get rid of it?  I get several hundred of them attempting
> >to build xemacs.  (GNU emacs built okay.)
> >
> >I'm running the 1.2 release.
>
> I'm pretty sure theseare to the old ECOFF toolchain and the lack
> of GOT space.  Try compling with -G 0.

ld man page says:

       -G size
              Set the maximum size of objects to be optimized us-
              ing  the GP register to size under MIPS ECOFF.  Ig-
              nored for other object file formats.

Tried it anyway, doesn't seem to change anything.  (Gcc doesn't
like -G, had to feed it straight to ld.)  I assume -G 0 means "no limit"?
I also tried

       -split-by-file
              Similar to -split-by-reloc but creates a new output
              section for each input file.

which doesn't fix it either.

I suppose my next step is to remove as many optional features
as possible.

-Dave