Subject: Re: Are PC164 based alphas supported?
To: None <ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/06/1997 15:28:27
Matthew Jacob writes:

 > However, you *can* get SRM for the AlphaPC164, and I've found
 > the board to be quite nice. I've been running off a system
 > I purchased from Aspen Systems for some months now and have
 > had no problems with it.

Might the type of CPU also be an issue now as well?

A week or two ago, there was somebody saying he had an AlphaPC164
and that an older 433Mhz cpu worked just fine, but that a newer 'NT
designated  500Mhz cpu wouldn't boot with the SRM firmware, but it
would boot with the NT Arc/AlphaBios console.

Did anybody ever determine if the SRM console now has some sort of
hack in it which causes it to punt when it detects that it was booted
on a 'NT-designated' CPU?  If so, you might end up having to pay 3 or
4 times as much to get a Digital UNIX designated CPU.. Sigh..

Drew

Andrew Gallatin				http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin
Duke University				Email:		gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science		Phone:		(919) 660-6590