Subject: Re: dumb questions about kernel builds
To: Mark H. Levine <yba@polytronics.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/29/1997 21:48:39
"Mark H. Levine" writes:
> Apparently the only sources we can grab are the current sources?
> If we actually want to build a kernel, using something that has
> built a kernel before and compiles, what should one do?  Check out
> some CVS version that corresponds to 1.2D?

The NetBSD project maintains sources of full real releases, and the
sources to -current -- some snapshots (like the i386 snapshots I
build) also come with the sources used to build them.

If you have a particular set of -current sources that you particularly
like, I suggest the right thing to do is to keep a hold of them. Its
very difficult if not impossible to get a particular past revision,
since there isn't a single revision of any sort. For example, there
was no single "1.2D" -- 1.2D was just the designation used for the
kernel for a period of some months.

Perry