Subject: Re: Alpha pci133 Memory
To: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/09/1997 00:23:42
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Stan Pietkiewicz wrote:

> Will 16mb of RAM be enough for NetBSD (for a file server), or should I go
> for more??

In a word? No. Here's my AXPpci33 when it starts:

real mem = 33554432 (2072576 reserved for PROM, 31481856 used by NetBSD)
avail mem = 22405120
using 384 buffers containing 3145728 bytes of memory

So you will probably have about 7-8 MB free for user processes on
a 16 MB machine, which is pretty much guaranteed to get you swapping
if you try to run anything after logging in.

Also, to get 16 MB of memory, you'd have to buy two 8 MB SIMMs. In
the long term, 16 MB SIMMs are a lot more useful when you have to
shuffle them off to other machines.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'