Subject: Re: Nasty user trap problem on Alpha...
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/03/1997 16:08:05
> This often (in my experience) indicates hardware problems. Did you system
> crash or panic after printing this?

The console login process hung, although I could still hit inetd (but
not get any further than that).   I finally got somebody to reset the
machine, at which point I couldn't see the SCSI disk from the boot
PROM.   Power cycling it didn't help.   Subsequently, the speaker
started whining.   After somebody disconnected the speaker (and
probably jiggled the chassis pretty signficantly), the SCSI disk was
again visible, and the machine is now acting normally.   Sigh.

			       _MelloN_