Subject: Re: Help with dd'ing alpha port
To: None <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/21/1997 10:57:30
On Wed, 21 May 1997, Mike Grommet wrote:

> I tried to dd the file RZ_25IMA (the rz_25 image file) to the disk by
> doing this: dd if=RZ_25IMA of=/dev/sd1
>
> and it gives me an error mesg:
>
> sd1:  invalid primary partition table: no magic

You probably need to use the raw device, with the minor number that
designates the full disk. Under NetBSD/i386 this would be:

    dd if=RZ_25IMA of=/dev/rsd1d

Under FreeBSD you might have to use rsd1c instead. An experienced
FreeBSD user could tell you exactly what you need to do if you tell
him what you're attempting to do (dd a raw image directly on to a
disk).

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'