Subject: README: test kernel for new DMA framework available
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/19/1997 22:01:38
Hi folks...

I have placed a GENERIC alpha kernel at:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/thorpej/hide/DMA/netbsd-alpha-generic.gz

...and am looking for some brave testers.  This kernel has the new bus
dma framework, _including_ SGMAP support for APECS, CIA, and LCA chipsets
(DWLPx probably on Wednesday).  In addition to the standard NetBSD/alpha
device drivers, this kernel also includes:

	- Adaptec, BusLogic, and UltraStor SCSI on ISA
	- Adaptec, BusLogic, and UltraStor SCSI on EISA
	- Support for the on-board ISA DMA controller (although nothing
	  that uses it has been ported yet).

Note!  I have not yet converted the ISP, ahc, de, etc. drivers to the
new framework.  However, I would like to know if I've broken anything
that used to work, at least :-)  I have booted this kernel on an
AlphaServer 8200, and it works fine.

If you have an Adaptec 1542, and an Alpha with ISA slots, I would really
appreciate it if you could try this out.

Soon, I plan on making the floppy driver work on the Alpha port... a
project for next week, I think...

I'll be out of town, and away from my mail all day tomorrow, and part
of Wednesday... so, if I don't get back to you right away, that's why.
However, don't let that stop you from sending reports of failure or,
with any luck, success!  :-)

Thanks!