Subject: Hrm... Can you help?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Grommet <mgrommet@ns.insolwwb.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/12/1997 10:53:30
I have a dec alpha easy webserver, which has been updated
to a alpha 166 AXP chip on a service call.  We want to run
netbsd on this sytem.  It comes with a 1 gig hard drive, but
no cdrom (we might be able to scrounge up an external
scsi drive).    We have a copy of netbsd 1.2 that was
supplied on the BSDisc, however
as is mentioned in the readme, the documenation is sketchy
at best.  We are currently running on two other servers,
BSDI 2.1, and FreeBSD, so I am not foriegn to the bsd platform.

This machine origionally had windows NT on it, but
we figure to hell with NT, we can do much more with this machine
running unix anyway.
What do you suggest for installing netbsd on this system since
this thing doesnt already have unix on it?

If I took the hard drive out of the alpha box and put it in one of my
other two, dd'ed the files to it, placed it back into the alpha box
and booted it, would that work?

I apologize in advance, I am simply not very versed in the
alpha platform.  This machine was literally just lying around
and not doing anything and we decided to put it to work.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mike Grommet
Internet Solutions, Inc.
System Admin & Web Page Designer