Subject: Re: HELP!!
To: Riccardo Veraldi <veraldi@sunvlsi2.bo.infn.it>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/06/1997 08:34:51
On Tue, 6 May 1997, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> Please I Would need some kindperson to help me on installing the NetBSD
> on a Multia, just I need some few instructions.
> I Already got the rz25 image disk
> I have a rz29 disk it is external SCSI disk and a internal disk on the multia
> a 300Mb TOSHIBA but it is not a rz type disk.

You don't actually need an `rz' type disk, but you do need a disk
that's at least as large as an rz25, which is somewhere around 450
MB, if I recall correctly.

I assume that your rz29 disk is at least as big as an rz25 disk.
You just have to plug the rz29 into your unix machine that has the
image, and dd the image to it. If, for example, you plug it into
a machine and it comes up as sd5, you'd type something like

    dd if=image of=/dev/rsd5c bs=1m

In this case, `image' is the name of the image file, `/dev/rsd0c'
is the `raw' partition of the disk and a character (not a block)
device, and the `bs=1m' sets the block size to one megabyte, which
isn't necessary but should speed things up a bit.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS! You can quite easily overwrite
your currently running OS with this sort of procedure, so make sure
you understand the device naming scheme of the OS you're using for
this.

Once you've done that, you now have a disk you can plug into your
multia and boot directly, with the command

    boot dka100 -file netbsd -flags ''

where `dka100' is that disk. The number will be different if that
disk is not SCSI ID 1. (The internal disk will be dka0.)

Once you've booted that disk, you'll have access to the disklabel
man page and program. Read the man page carefully, and then disklabel
sd0, which is your internal disk, to some appropriate sizes and
copy over whatever bits of the OS will fit.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about in the above paragraph,
get to the point where you can boot the rz29 disk on the multia,
read the disklabel manpage carefully, and post again and I'll
clarify things further.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'