Subject: Re: Updating console firmware on a 3000/400
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/29/1997 03:18:49
>However, there doesn't seem to be a way to _set_ the console to
>the serial port using this version of the SRM firmware.  I figure
>this firmware is years out of date, so I go to install the latest
>firmware on it.  A friend of mine found the V3_7 firmware CD (maybe
>it was V3_8) with version 6.8 of the console firmware.  So I print
>off the directions, set the ROM read/write jumper to "On", and boot
>off the CD.  At the "Bootfile:" prompt, I enter in the following
>name:

There's a switch on the back labelled S3.  It needs to be toggled to
force a serial console.  (That's how the 3000/500s works as well).

>[dec3000]m400_v6_8.exe
>
>(This is from the install document).  After I enter this in, the CD
>spins a few times, then the machine prints "?HLT xxxx" (I'm sorry I
>don't remember the exact error message, but this was at work, and
>I'm at home now).

Can you show the output of "show config"?  Some 3000/400 have an
out-of-date SROM and that prevents console upgrades.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message