Subject: AXPpci 33 ... not very fast?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/25/1997 00:54:59
So, I've been playing around with this AXPpci 33 machine lately ... and
it seems to me that it's just not very fast at all.  It compiles a kernel
about as fast as my 486/66DX2 (a mostly useless benchmark, I know, but
still ... ).  It's just "feels" sluggish, and this machine has 48 MB memory.

Is it supposed to be reasonably fast?  The only thing that I can think is
that since it only has 256KB of backup cache, it's getting lots of cache
misses.  Would upgrading to 1MB of backup cache improve the speed greatly?

(Note that I'm sure this isn't a NetBSD issue, as it came installed with
Linux, and even the "super-optimized" Linux felt just as sluggish).

--Ken