Subject: xpm-3.4j and X11R6...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/18/1997 09:27:25
Hi

Is anyone out there using the xpm-3.4j stuff on their NetBSD/alpha boxes (e.g.
in fvwm or fvwm2).  If so, are the images/icons correct, or are they garbled?

In fvwm2, the many of the icons (like xterm.xpm and xv2.xpm) appear to be
garbled. (some of the <columns> of the icons appear to be correct, but the
rest are just "noise").  Other icons (like world.xpm) work just fine.

When I try running sxpm (the little proggy that comes with xpm-3.4j)
I typically get:

  X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
       internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  43

I just compiled up xpaint-2.4.7 last night, and when I try to run that I
get:

  X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
       internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  672

When these applications are run on the alpha, and displayed on a monochrome
Sun3 X display, they work/display just fine :-(

I compiled up libX11.so.6.1 (I think that's the one) last night, and added a
bunch of debugging printf's to it.  Everything in the XPutImage and _XSend
routines looked happy enough, but still no go... (I believe it is _XSend()
that has a comment about that routine possibly needing some changes if int <
long)
I'm planning on looking further into this after the weekend, but in the
meantime I figured I'd ask if anyone else has seen this problem...

I'm running NetBSD-current as of March 5th or so (ELF, shared libs, vm fixes,
etc), with the "x11-fixes.tar.gz" X11 shared libraries.  The alpha is a
Multia, for as much as that should matter.

Any pointers (including "it works for me -- I don't know what your problem
is") are appreciated....

Thanks

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA