Subject: Naive alpha ISA question
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1997 02:10:50
Okay ... forgive me if this was beaten to death before; I couldn't
find the topic in the mailing list archives.

I have a Dec AXPPCI33 machine sitting on my desk.  Obviously, I
want to run NetBSD on it.  Fine, no problem; I got it installed.
However, I'd like to temporarily use a old ISA Ethernet card
(specifically, a 3C509) until I get the PCI ATM card working.  This
machine has a PCI-ISA bridge, so that's not an issue.

I don't see it on the "supported hardware" list for NetBSD/Alpha,
yet the driver for it is in the "generic" isa directory.  So I
guess what I'm asking is, which of the following statements is
closest to the truth:

- Known to work fine
- Not ever tested, but "should" work
- Will probably not work, because of "foo"
- Will definately not work, because of "foo"
- Will never work, because of "foo"

I know that not all the drivers in the generic device tree work on
all architectures ... but does anyone know how much work would it
take to make something like the 3C509 driver work?

--Ken