Subject: Re: -current on (diskless) AS600
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/1997 14:46:48
> How can I make -ECOFF kernels myself?

you have to recompile the toolchain, set up for
alpha-unknown-netbsdecoff, or something like that.

> I'm running the latest snapshot. Newly compiled
> kernels come out as ELF.
> I want to boot them from a native DEC installation.
> (I tried "objcopy", but the result is not bootable.)

i've not had very good luck with objcopy, either.

> How is "/usr/mdec/netboot" supposed to work? It is not
> bootable with DEC bootblocks.

set up a bootp/tftp server on another box.  configure the bootp server
so that it tells the alpha to boot that file.

tell your alpha to boot from the network.

that'll load the boot block, which will in turn load the kernel if you
set up and export a root partition.

Most of the steps (everything after getting the system to load the
boot program) is covered in diskless(8).

If you have an old version of the SRM console firmware, you might need
to use 'setnetbootinfo' (see its manualpage) to configure the network
boot block, but i'd try it without configuration first.  (If you need
to configure it specially, it will tell you.)

cgd