Subject: Re: Problems with latest snapshot. (Emacs...)
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/26/1997 13:07:01
In message <30019.859236569@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu> you wrote:
>> that my system came up and running without any noticable problems :-).
>Good.  8-)
Definately a nice piece of work...

>The solution to your problems is probably:
>ls -la /usr/libexec/cpp
>It's quite likely pointing at the old cpp binary, unless you untarred
>the new binary tar files with --unlink.
Nope, that was ok...

>> First, I recompiled `xpm' and `fvwm'.  Compilation went fine, but executing
>> fvwm results in something like `Cannot find shared object libXsomething.so.x
>> (a shared lib present in /usr/X11R6/lib).
I managed to get fvwm running by using the -R option to ld. (as suggested
by Steve M. Acheson).

Thanks  for the help and background info... I haven't managed one other thing
yet: Gnu Emacs-19.34. I had it patched for netbsd-1.2, and tried to compile
it under the latest snapshot. It gives me a couple of undeclared symbol
errors, and I'm not sure whether these should be defined by NetBSD or by
Emacs (both don't). Here is part of the (cleaned up) compiler output:

==========================
gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/usr/src/emacs-19.34/src
-fno-common -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O  unexelf1.c
unexelf1.c: In function `unexec':
unexelf1.c:691: `PT_LOAD' undeclared (first use this function)
unexelf1.c:809: `SHT_SYMTAB' undeclared (first use this function)
unexelf1.c:809: `SHT_DYNSYM' undeclared (first use this function)
unexelf1.c:814: `SHT_NULL' undeclared (first use this function)
unexelf1.c:814: `SHT_NOBITS' undeclared (first use this function)
unexelf1.c:835: `pHDRR' undeclared (first use this function)
(...)

This funtcion is responsible for dumping an image of emacs to a file.
Has anyone worked on porting it yet? Does this routine need a complete
rewrite or is defining the missing symbols enough? Where do I find the
info to define these symbols...

Thanks for all the help so far...

Feico.