Subject: Re: Problems with latest snapshot.
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/24/1997 12:28:36
In message <1016.858041483@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> you wrote:
>I've put fixed a xdm binary and fixed X11 libraries in
>ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/970305/bin/x11-fixes.tar.gz
>
>The next snapshot I build will contain all of these fixes, of course.

Hi,

I upgraded from NetBSD-1.2-alpha to the 970305 snapshot, using the
tarballs (including x11-fixes). Initially I was pleassantly suprised
that my system came up and running without any noticable problems :-).

Last weekend I started to recompile some applications and ran into
some problems, leaving me rather clueless. I really like having
shared libs and such, but I'm a bit at a loss on how things work
(or should work?). I haven't build myself a new kernel yet (don't
have sources online at the moment).

First, I recompiled `xpm' and `fvwm'.  Compilation went fine, but executing
fvwm results in something like `Cannot find shared object libXsomething.so.x'
(a shared lib present in /usr/X11R6/lib). I thought a `ldconfig  /usr/X11R6/lib'
might help here, but `ldconfig' had disappeared from my system. I checked
the `bin.tar.gz' tarball and could not find it there either. I have no
clue where `ldconfig' went, and am not even sure whether it should be there
(Yes, sanity seems to slip away from me after this weekend). Could you
please enlighten me on this one? Thanks.

greetings,

Feico.