Subject: Re: Q:(AGAIN)IDE and Alpha
To: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/19/1997 02:15:45
> The SRM console will probably never support the IDE controller.  You could
> use an IDE disk as a data device using the updated wd driver in -current
> but you won't be able to boot off of it.

Actually, the 'wd' driver in -current _doesn't_ understand the bus.h
'space' macros, so can't easily be used on the Alpha.

There is some ... annoying PC weirdness involved in making it work
properly with bus_space_*, namely it _shares_ some ports with the
floppy driver.  (either it has some read-only and the floppy driver
has the write-only, or vice-versa, or something like that.)  There's
currently no reasonable way to do that with the bus_space_*
interfaces, and every suggestion that I've made for what I consider a
'sane' way to that that (i.e. which preserves port
allocation/deallocation semantics and which allows reasonable
on-the-fly checking of whether or not a port which is being use has
actually been allocated) has been shot down.

cgd