Subject: Re: Q:(AGAIN)IDE and Alpha
To: Karl N. Matthias <matthias.3@osu.edu>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/1997 17:02:39
>         I am resending this since I didn't hear anything on it at all.
> From the web pages I get the idea that NetBSD does not support IDE devices
> on the Alpha, correct?  Is some kernel hacking required to do this, or is
> it simply no IDE support in the SRM console?  I have an AXPpci33 (A lot of
> others I know do as well) and would like to use IDE drives since a
> controller is supplied on the board.  It is possible that I might be able
> to do some work in this area, but I am looking for general information
> first.  Please let me know any info about this.  Thanks

The SRM console will probably never support the IDE controller.  You could
use an IDE disk as a data device using the updated wd driver in -current
but you won't be able to boot off of it.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message