Subject: Data modified on freelist...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/17/1997 10:19:28
On my AS 500/266, I've been seeing the following warning when booting
a recent generic kernel (netbsd-GENERIC-970312).  This message
generally shows up just after init starts:

Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object 0xfffffe004a599300 size 48 previous type ??? (0x4a6ab0 != 0xdeadbeef)

Should I be worried?  Looking at the comment in kern/kern_malloc.c, it
looks like this means there might be 'memory reuse problems'

On the same 500, I've also been seeing a few 'unexpected machine
check' panics.  This 500 has some, well.. suspect dimms & Digital UNIX
will occasionally kick out "Machine Check error corrected by
processor" messages when ECC kicks in & corrects a single-bit error.
A brief scan through arch/alpha/alpha/interrupt.c makes me think that
NetBSD might panic on the same sort of interrupt, is that true?

Thanks,

Drew
Duke University				Email:		gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science		Phone:		(919) 660-6590