Subject: Re: ISP1020
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/14/1997 20:14:55
> Well, it's about 14 hours until I fly to Hawaii, so I probably
> can't get things done here tonite...
>
> I tried to map it in via mem space, but I got a panic in pci_mem_find
> that the address in question is an I/O space address.
>
> Either I have my memory regions messed up, or what?

(as noted in private mail, you're still trying to use the I/O mapping
register when trying to map the memory region.)

> Can it wait until I get back
> with a cputype hack?

It can wait until you get back; as noted, i have a hacked fix and will
provide it & kernels to people who need it to get booting.

I don't think it should be a cpu-dependent hack if at all possible.
(Actually, it _does_ make sense to use the I/O ports on the x86, but
for a different reason: buggy PCI host bus adapters, and strange
interactions with PPBs which only affect memory space.  On the alpha
it should be possible to consistently do it one way or the other,
since i'd bet that Digital UNIX only does it one way, and that that's
via the memory mapped ports.  8-)

Have a good trip!

chris