Subject: Re: ugh... de0 problems
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/10/1997 22:21:06
Operating System: NetBSD 1.2 alpha

Chris G. Demetriou wrote

> I assume this isn't a problem with enabling the BNC connector, or
> whatever it is?  I don't know remember what the resolution there was,
> but as far as I know it isn't possible to use the BNC connector on the
> Multia.

This appears to be in my case... but I am running an AXPpci33 and a
SMC Etherpower (21041)...

> > Ifconfig shows it working, the boot manifest shows it working, but ping or
> > traceroute or routed or whatever fails.
> >
> > I hope someone has had this problem and knows a solution.
>
> There are certainly problems with the de driver in -current.  I
> _strongly_ recommend people building new kernels for themselves use
> the old version.  (I'm pretty sure that either a copy of the old
> version, or diffs to get back to the old version were posted to
> current-users not too long ago.  If anybody needs a copy of the old
> version, get in touch with me.)  I built the snapshot kernels with the
> old version of the driver, since the new version is unstable (to the
> point of occasionally causing machine checks) on my systems.  (I can't
> conclusively prove that the machine checks were caused by the de
> driver, but rolling back the driver with no other changes to the
> kernel source caused the machine checks to go away... 8-)

My Intel box has a problem with the ep0 driver too... it looks there
is more to it...

I like to stay with current and wouldn't mind getting the diffs or the old
de driver... can you make them available to us?

Thanks

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf