Subject: ugh... de0 problems
To: Port-Alpha (E-mail) <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Schwartz <mykes@sportsextra.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/1997 20:41:58
I have two multias... one just died running netbsd.  Seems to be
a real problem for me because this is the third alpha I've returned
that has failed to work (at all) after it ran netbsd.  The wierd thing
is that these alphas run NT just fine for days and days.... Put netbsd
on them and they don't even boot to the SRM console after two days of non-stop
idle time.  I point this out because I wonder if anyone else has the same problems?
An added bit of info, before the machine died, it would boot/run netbsd for a
random period of time before failing.

Now for the real question I have.  I don't have this mysterious green book or
any other real documentation on the SRM env vars and programs.  I swapped out
this one alpha that died with another that was running NT for weeks of uptime.
This NT worked fine on the ethernet.  I happen to have NetBSD on an external drive,
so all I had to do was switch the machine to srm console mode and boot off the
drive.  It comes up fine, but refuses to talk on the ethernet.

Ifconfig shows it working, the boot manifest shows it working, but ping or
traceroute or routed or whatever fails.

I hope someone has had this problem and knows a solution.

Thanks in advance!

------
Mike Schwartz, Founder Best Internet Communications
CEO Internet Extra Corporation
Free sports magazine site at http://www.sportsextra.com
current news... scores... stats... contests with cash prizes