Subject: Re: reboot vs. halt
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/1997 15:47:45
> Well, I'm sure you're doing the right thing by the Green Book.

If you've got more documentation that you can provide, I'd love to get
it right.  However...

> However, it still remains, as far as I can remember, that OSF/1
> will do a reboot when you say 'reboot' from the root prompt, no
> matter what the prom settings are.

And, at least in my experience so will NetBSD/Alpha.  If you have a
case that disproves this, I'd love to see a demonstration of it, so
that it can be properly addressed.

I've asked for a couple of pieces of information, which you have not
yet provided.  Until I have those pieces of information, it's not even
possible to conclusively determine whether the problem is indeed in
the kernel/firmware interface (i.e. the wrong flags are getting set,
or something), whether it is "somewhere else" (e.g. in 'reboot'), or
whether this is simply a case of user error (e.g. you specified the
"H" boot flag).  (Before you dismiss the second possibility out of
hand, i'll note that it _is_ quite possible to invoke halt/reboot so
that "the wrong thing" happens, in particular if you set 'halt' up as
an account's login shell, and try to log in with that account to shut
down the machine, you'll be in for a surprise...  As for the latter
possibility: I know that I've forgotten console variable settings
in the past, and 'H' is a useful one to use while debugging
NetBSD/alpha kernels..)

> I should note that a reboot is neither an "error halt" nor a "powerup"
> condition.

Yes, i know.  In fact, i mentioned that explicitly so that Jason would
be informed that AUTO_ACTION is not intended to apply in all console
entry situations, only those particular ones.

It's worth noting that I have seen versions of the console where if
you set AUTO_ACTION to halt, even under Digital UNIX, it would halt
the system if you tried to 'reboot' from OSF/1.  Also, NetBSD/alpha
used to (probably 6 mos. to a year ago) have problems rebooting in
some circumstances on some machines, but those went away as far as I
was aware when i switched to the new flag-setting code that i'm using.

cgd