Subject: Re: can't build world
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/06/1997 13:37:07
Operating System: NetBSD 1.2 alpha

Chris G. Demetriou wrote

> > I still can't build world for netbsd-current as of 2 days ago... it
> > still attempts to build the shared libraries, although I followed
> > Chris's instructions.
> >
> > This is what I've got in /etc/mk.conf
> >
> > ECOFF_TOOLCHAIN=
> >
> > Any more ideas of what I can try... It appears to me as if
> > NetBSD-1.2 is different to what you guys are using...
>
> Most certainly; i'm quite far into -current on all of my machines
> (even the ECOFF ones).
>
> If your /usr/share/mk files are up to date, and you have
> ECOFF_TOOLCHAIN= in your /etc/mk.conf, the system _should not_ try to
> build ECOFF_TOOLCHAIN.

I've updated my source tree as of 5 of March to see if it made a
difference... and yes now I am able to "make build"

There was a little hitch whilest building the domestic libcrypt in
crypt.c. It complaint about strlen of being defined implicitly
and because of -Werror it stopped there....

After adding "#include <string.h>" the build went fine all the way....

I then installed the new distribution, including a recompiled kernel,
rebooted the system ok.... but found that it was unable to
communicate with the rest of the local network using the ethernet...

I am using a SMC PCI EtherPower which is detected as an SMC 21041...
but with the new kernel it didn't enable the BNC port.... (well at
least it didn't show it in the bootup message)

----------------------- NetBSD-970306 --------------------
de0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0 at isa irq 9
de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:00:c0:63:6e:d5
-----------------------    end        ---------------------

in contrast to

----------------------- NetBSD-1.2 ------------------------
de0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: DC21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: Ethernet address 00:00:c0:63:6e:d5
de0: interrupting at isa irq 9
init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
de0: enabling Thinwire/BNC port
     ^^^^^^^^^
-----------------------    end        ---------------------

When ping'ing any other host connected to the same ethernet it will only get
random reply's with most of the packets dropped. The same happens when
ping'ing the system from another host....

Device de is defined in the config-file as:

de*     at      pci? dev ? function ?           # 21x4[012]-based Ethernet

I re-installed the 960913-snapshot in order to get going again...

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@ping.net.au