Subject: Re: cu(1)
To: Carl S Shapiro <cshapiro@sparky.ic.sunysb.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/1997 23:46:11
> > Sounds like it doesn't work.  I seem to recall doing something to make
> > tip/cu work at some point, but don't recall clearly (and, it may have
> > been another program, since _so_ many were broken on the Alpha).
>
> Well, the snapshot at: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/961127/
> didn't have a hardlink from cu to tip.  I made the hard link, and as far
> as I can tell tip(1) seems to work.

Hmm.  I'm not sure what the deal is there.  tip-as-cu, you mean,
right?  i.e. when you make the hard link, and say 'cu', it behaves
'properly'?

you had a cu binary installed?  "I wonder from what!"  Does the cu
manual page look like:

DESCRIPTION
       The  cu  command is used to call up another system and act
       as a dial in terminal.  It can also do simple file  trans-
       fers with no error checking.

       cu  takes  a single argument, besides the options.  If the
       argument is the string "dir" cu will make a direct connec-
       tion  to  the  port.   This may only be used by users with
       write access to the port, as it permits reprogramming  the
       modem.

       Otherwise,  if  the  argument  begins  with a digit, it is
       taken to be a phone number  to  call.   Otherwise,  it  is
       taken  to  be  the  name  of  a system to call.  The -z or
       --system option may be used to  name  a  system  beginning
       with  a digit, and the -c or --phone option may be used to
       name a phone number that does not begin with a digit.

It could be that (somehow) the Taylor UUCP version of cu got installed
on your system.  It doesn't look like there's normally a hard link
between tip and cu anymore...

There's no 'cu' installed on any of my systems, at all...  I thought
that it might be a link to tip, because i seem to recall that having
been the 'standard practice' once.  The version of Taylor UUCP in the
source tree does not compile on the alpha (which is why it's not built
as part of the standard system build), and if you compiled some parts
of it and tried to run them, i could easily believe that they're not
working.

> > I suggest you compile it with -g, and gdb it.  8-)
>
> I suppose this is the only option I have left if I want to ever see cu(1)
> working soon.

If the hard link to 'tip' works for you, then use that.  8-)

> Does C-Kermit work on the Alpha?

I dunno.

chris