Subject: Re: pgp
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/21/1997 11:31:52

> I tried something similar and even with the above options it still
> bombs out:
>
> /usr/local/bin/make all CC=gcc LD=gcc \
> CFLAGS=" -O2 -DUNIX -DPORTABLE -DMAX_NAMELEN=255"
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/contrib/png/src'
> gcc -O2 -DUNIX -DPORTABLE -DMAX_NAMELEN=255   -c pgp.c -o pgp.o
> gcc -O2 -DUNIX -DPORTABLE -DMAX_NAMELEN=255   -c crypto.c -o crypto.o
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> make[1]: *** [crypto.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/contrib/png/src'
> make: *** [netbsd_alpha] Error 2
>
> Has someone any idea...?
Hmm, looks like you actually found a compiler bug.  One possibility is to
try removing -O2 from CFLAGS.  In general, the buggiest parts of compilers
are the optimizers.  Beyond that, since it called abort(), a corefile should
have been made, so you might try running gdb against it and see if you can
tell what went awry.  Since this bug is reproducible, you could also try
running gcc under gdb.  Also, are you using the ECOFF or the ELF toolchain,
and what compiler version?  Is this under -current, or 1.2, or what?
-ben