Subject: Re: PowerStorm [sic] 3D30/4D20 (was: ELF, DU, X11, and 4D20)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/18/1997 18:25:08
Johan Danielsson said:
> "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > TGA2 boards are PCI VGA boards, and should be treated as such by the
> > kernel and the X server.
>
> Just out of curiosity, are the 3D30 and 4D20 as similar as the manual
> suggests? The manual states (more or less) that the 4D20 is a 3D30
> with 16M of memory. However, looking at a 3D30 I find a CL-5424, that
> if I recall correctly, just *might* be able to manage 1280x1024x256
> (which it obviously does).

Assuming that the 4D20 is the PBXGB-CA, they are very similar.

The differences are:

	(1) different amount of video memory (and differing
	    use of video memory),

	(2) different RAMDAC,

and probably a couple of other little changes.

I'm not entirely sure how the boards work, but from what I can tell
the Cirrus Logic VGA chip is used for VGA operation only (and maybe a
little bit in the accelerated graphics mode, but not much).
Most/all of the accelerated graphics functionality on the boards is
provided by the big ASIC, and there's apparently a "switch" which
enables that video output, or the VGA video output.

cgd