Subject: Re: DEC PC164 questions
To: None <sumida@dcd.abk.nec.co.jp>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/1997 00:30:09
> I am interested in NetBSD on DEC AlphaPC164 motherboard.  It seems
> there are two kinds of motherboards(and maybe CPUs), for WinNT and for
> Digital UNIX. I'd like to know whether or not WinNT based product
> works well. Is it a only firmware problem(ARC and SRM)?

So, as far as i know (this is not very far 8-), the primary difference
between the "NT" and "Digital UNIX" versions of the AlphaPC 164
systems is the firmware.

The CPUs may be different, and the motherboards may be different as
well, but I can't say for sure.

However, the firmware is enough.  You _NEED_ SRM console firmware to
run NetBSD/Alpha.

If you can get SRM console firmware for an AlphaPC 164, in all
likelyhood that AlphaPC 164 can run NetBSD (as long as you _have_ the
SRM console firmware installed 8-).  I can't say 100% for sure that
it'll work, because I don't know the full variety of AlphaPC 164's out
there.  However, i've run NetBSD/alpha or seen it run on several
members of the AlphaPC 164 family.

Note that the current NetBSD/alpha snapshot is not particularly stable
on 21164-based systems.  I hope to be releasing a new snapshot soon
that will address those problems.

chris