Subject: Re: cpuconf.c undefined vlaues in kernel build
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/1997 00:30:29
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> > Dear Alpha People,
> >    In arch/alpha/alpha/cpuconf.c the following are undefined,
> > NDEC_3000_500, NDEC_3000_300, NDEC_2100_A50 in
> > cpusw[4, 7, 13].model_name.
> >    I obviously am missing some header file or somthing.
>
> So, when you run 'config' on your kernel name, in the kernel build
> directory it creates a bunch of files describing 'needs-count' and
> 'needs-flag' options.
>
> There should be a bunch named like: dec_*.h, and they should have
> contents like:
>
> 20 [bunnahabhain] GENERIC % head dec_*.h
> ==> dec_21000.h <==
> #define NDEC_21000      0
>
> ==> dec_2100_a50.h <==
> #define NDEC_2100_A50   1
>
> ==> dec_3000_300.h <==
> #define NDEC_3000_300   1
>
> ==> dec_3000_500.h <==
> #define NDEC_3000_500   1
>
> ==> dec_axppci_33.h <==
> #define NDEC_AXPPCI_33  1
>
> ==> dec_eb164.h <==
> #define NDEC_EB164      1
>
> ==> dec_kn20aa.h <==
> #define NDEC_KN20AA     1
>

> (for a GENERIC kernel)
This is exactly what I get with a GENERIC kernel

> how are you trying to build the kernel?  i.e. what commands, exactly,
> are you trying to run?  it sounds like _something_ is going wrong.
in compile:
rm -rf GENERIC

in config directory:
/usr/sbin/config GENERIC

in compile/GENERIC:
make depend
make

Notes:
1) the /usr/src is on a NFS directory running on NetBSD i386.
2) Did a rdate just before make depend
3) path variable does not inlcude /usr/sbin or /sbin

Nothing pressing right now - I just wondered what I might be missing.
johnh...