Subject: Re: cpuconf.c undefined vlaues in kernel build
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/03/1997 23:24:42
> Dear Alpha People,
>    In arch/alpha/alpha/cpuconf.c the following are undefined,
> NDEC_3000_500, NDEC_3000_300, NDEC_2100_A50 in
> cpusw[4, 7, 13].model_name.
>    I picked up the tard sys and include files from this weekend,
> rebuilt make and config, made includes in /usr/src but have this
> compilation error when building the GENERIC kernel.  If I
> make these entries using notdef macro the system compiles and
> I can run the kernel.
>    I obviously am missing some header file or somthing.

So, when you run 'config' on your kernel name, in the kernel build
directory it creates a bunch of files describing 'needs-count' and
'needs-flag' options.

There should be a bunch named like: dec_*.h, and they should have
contents like:

20 [bunnahabhain] GENERIC % head dec_*.h
==> dec_21000.h <==
#define NDEC_21000      0

==> dec_2100_a50.h <==
#define NDEC_2100_A50   1

==> dec_3000_300.h <==
#define NDEC_3000_300   1

==> dec_3000_500.h <==
#define NDEC_3000_500   1

==> dec_axppci_33.h <==
#define NDEC_AXPPCI_33  1

==> dec_eb164.h <==
#define NDEC_EB164      1

==> dec_kn20aa.h <==
#define NDEC_KN20AA     1

(for a GENERIC kernel)

how are you trying to build the kernel?  i.e. what commands, exactly,
are you trying to run?  it sounds like _something_ is going wrong.

before anybody asks: i already asked jason if his recent config
changes could be at fault.  In a nutshell, "no they can't be," and i
tried it out and a -current kernel with up to date config, etc.,
builds fine for me.  however, this reminds me that i really should
convert various things to use the new option header files.  8-)

chris