Subject: Re: Alpha X server limitations
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/28/1997 14:44:43
> So, there are lots of limitations with Alpha X server support right now.
>
> Crappy keyboard support is one of them.  The other big one is "no
> support for anything other than the TGA."  8-)
>
> I'm in the process of seriously whacking the console interface used by
> the Alphas, which should at least allow some of these problems to be
> addressed in a sane manner.  (I've been in the process of doing this
> for a while, but things have been stalled recently.  8-)
>
> It should be to a point within a few days where it's ready to be
> released to the world, if i can beat an X server into working
> properly.
>

> Several notes/comments here:
>
> 	(1) the new console interface will break existing X servers.
>
> 	(2) we still need to get alpha X support into some
> 	    maintainable state, preferably into the Xfree86 tree.
> 	    Unfortunately, it's not clear to me that it'll drop
> 	    easily into XFree86 because of the assumptions made
> 	    in that code about access to system resources.
>
> 	(3) I hate hacking X, and want to minimize the amount of
> 	    X hacking that I have to do.  8-)
>
> chris
How different is the new console from the console facility provided by
Linux on the Alpha?  Supposedly, XFree86 is working with Linux on the Alpha,
and, unless there are good ideological reasons for doing so, things probably
ought to be made such that the code in XFree86 need not be that different
for Linux/Alpha and NetBSD/Alpha.
-ben