Subject: Re: Support for two eithernet cards on Multia
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/1996 09:41:14
On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, John C. Hayward wrote:

>    It seems that the Multia has one PCI slot but it is taken up with the
> NCR SCSI card (at least that is what I think) and the arangement is such
> that a regular PCI card would not fit in the case.

That is not the case. There is a PCI slot on the motherboard that
will not fit a PCI card (unless you leave the case open). Into this
goes a `daughtercard' which contains an NCR controller, and another
(sideways) PCI slot. Into this PCI slot you can fit a `short' PCI
card.  (PCI cards come in two lengths; `short' and `long'; it's
pretty easy to tell the difference. Most cards are short.)

This, by the way, assumes that you have a 300 or 500 MB drive in
your Multia. Those were 2.5" drives that fit under the floppy drive;
the multias with 1GB drives have a 3.5" drive that fits where the
PCI card would otherwise go.

If you are running NetBSD-current, you can put a 3c59x/3c90x card
in the PCI slot and it will just work. (I'm doing this now with a
905.) If you have any problems with getting one working, let me
know.

Other cards may or may not work; I had to add some alignment code
to the 3c509 driver that is probably not present in the other
drivers.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.