Subject: Re: Netbooting Alpha UDB's
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/1996 10:02:46
> I don't know if the 'interim' firmware on ftp.digital.com does the
> right thing.  I also don't know if the experimental firmware that i've
> been giving to people who need it does the right thing.

The interim doesn't work.  (error about ethernet address in boot device
string)  The 4.5 experimental works great, allowing me to bootp from
a NetBSD/i386 box.  The only potential problem I've noticed is that
the firmware seems to retain bootp information between unsuccessful
boots, so if you fix something in your bootptab entry, you have to
do a reset, or power the box off/on.  I also was not able to get dhcpd
to provide the correct information.  I am pretty sure I have all of
the fields necessary, but not all of the values show up in the output
of 'boot', so something is being missed.  All in all though, it works
quite nicely!

-Andrew