Subject: Re: crippled alpha processors
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/18/1996 09:17:38
> MILO is less than attractive because it really overengineers
> the relatively simple problem of trying to boot off of disks.
> My big beef with MILO (which I used for about 4 months) was
> you couldn't exit back to the SRM. It doesn't know how to
> read FFS filesystems, but could be taught to do so trivially.

Actually, i think i was being stupid when i suggested that it should.

I _really_ don't like the idea of firmware (which is what MILO is)
understanding the file system type.  I'd rather just have it load a
file from certain disk sectors, like SRM console does, and provide
callbacks for that file to do its own I/O to load the kernel or
whatever else is appropriate.

cgd