Subject: Re: crippled alpha processors
To: None <tober@bbnplanet.com, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/18/1996 00:02:33
>Last time I heard, MILO was:
>
>	(a) Linux-centric (well, it _is_ the Linux boot loader :-),
>
>	(b) the sources for it weren't even available because it used
>	    non-published interfaces in the ARC console software.

Actually, neither is really true. It's actually Digital-centric
more than anything, but it does use Linux drivers. Personally, I
use aboot, which is basically the same as the NetBSD and OSF/1
boot. And it's not the NDA issues about ARC stuff, it's some
of the PAL licencing issues which can be iffy.

MILO is less than attractive because it really overengineers
the relatively simple problem of trying to boot off of disks.
My big beef with MILO (which I used for about 4 months) was
you couldn't exit back to the SRM. It doesn't know how to
read FFS filesystems, but could be taught to do so trivially.

I believe the right solution has been suggested: have an
ARC bootable .exe image. This has it's limits, but the limits
are really in having an ARC only console to begin with (you
have to have an NTFS or DOS partition).