Subject: eb164 support, config file changes, VGA support
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/25/1996 00:05:50
Some recent changes you should be aware of:

	(1) eb164 support now works, as far as I can tell.  I'll be
	    updating the various readme files and the web pages
	    within a few days.

	(2) both ISA/EISA and PCI VGA support can now coexist in the
	    same kernel, and either type of card should be usable by
	    NetBSD as the console device.  This has only been tested
	    on PCI VGA boards (which were the real problem case,
	    since they could be falsely detected as ISA VGA boards),
	    but should work fine with ISA VGA boards as well.
	    (somebody with an ISA VGA board, try it and tell me!)

	(3) to support memory and I/O space-allocation in a sane way,
	    the pckbd and pms drivers have been put under a common
	    'pcppi' parent driver, since they share their I/O port
	    space.  Eventually, that driver will be smarter than it
	    is, and will handle all interaction with the keyboard
	    controller.  For now, it just does the space mapping.
	    This means that your config files will need to change
	    a bit.  Look in the GENERIC config file to see an example
	    of what you'll now need for pcppi, pckbd, and pms.

The space-management changes mentioned in (3) were rather extensive.
They've been tested on Multias, on an eb164, and on an AlphaStation
200 (i.e. i tried them on one machine type using each of the three
PCI bus interface implementations).  They should work fine on
other supported systems (most notably the AlphaStation 500 and 600
family), but if they don't get in touch and i'll try and figure out
what's going wrong.

These changes don't really affect TC machines much at all.  8-)

I've put up a new GENERIC kernel which includes these changes and
eb164 support, at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/cgd/netbsd.GENERIC.gz

If you run into any problems that you might might be related to these
changes, please get in touch...

chris