Subject: TC machines with two strings of SCSI disks
To: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/22/1996 13:47:09
Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no> said:
> While I'm writing: I'm running this box with SCSI disks mounted both
> internally and externally.  A few minutes ago, browsing the web pages for
> the alpha port, I read that this will not work, and will cause data
> loss.  Am I misreading the warning, or am I being very, very lucky?

So, the last time i tried it (well over a year ago, i'd guess), it
didn't work.

Since then the interrupt handling logic for the TC boxes, the TCDS DMA
code, and the esp driver have all received serious overhauls.

I could very well believe that it works now.

At boot, when you fsck, does fsck try to preen file systems on disks
on both busses at the same time?  If so, and it works, then the
problem that was previously there has most likely gone away.

Does anybody else have experience using disks on both SCSI busses of a
3000/[4-9]00?

chris